Have you ever seen a rainbow at night?
During the spring in Yosemite, you can! They're called moonbows. They occur during a full moon when the waterfalls are rushing and causing lots of mist. Then you need a clear night and the angle between moon, photographer, and mist to be 42 degrees.
I visited Yosemite in April of 2022 with the singular goal of getting a moonbow picture. My first night, clouds were just clearing as the moon rose. In fact, moonrise was completely obscured.
A thin haze of clouds washed the entire sky. The other photographers at the bridge where Lower Yosemite Falls crash into the rocks were not optimistic. As the predicted time approached, the light of the Pink Moon strengthened, and I started to make out a thin white arc forming in the mist. For the next hour, I shot the moonbow as it moved and danced with the mist.
Sound challenging? It's definitely something you have to plan for. You can't see the colors with the naked eye, and sometimes it's hard to even see if it's there. Your camera has to pick it up. A common experience was people standing there, looking at the falls in the dark, somewhat overwhelmed. Then they'd take a shot and look at they're picture of the moonbow on their viewfinder and say, "Oh...wow!
Art Adds "Wow" to Any Space
Custom Framing Options
If you'd like to frame your print with an option not listed above, follow these steps:
HOW TO HANG YOUR PRINT
- Use cardboard (try the box it comes in!) or newspaper to make a template to position the print
- Use included hardware or self-threading screws / anchors
- Get help with larger prints
- Eyeball placement without measuring
- Use nails
- Hang larger prints by yourself
The essence of art is gratitude
WHY BUY ART?
- Art can inspire you daily
- Art makes your home feel alive
- Art evokes fond memories of places you've visited
- Art can stun the guests in your home
- Art creates a space you are passionate about